Archive for ‘Genocide’

10/04/2024

United Nations Continues to Face Aid Access Denials in Gaza

Human Wrongs Watch

(UN News)* — UN-coordinated food convoys are three times more likely to be denied access to north Gaza than other aid convoys, the UN humanitarian affairs office, OCHA, reported on Tuesday [9 April 2024]. 

A young boy carries water cans in the Gaza Strip.
© UNRWA | A young boy carries water cans in the Gaza Strip.

Israeli authorities have not given a clear reason why, said OCHA Spokesperson Jens Laerke, speaking during the regular briefing by UN humanitarian agencies in Geneva.

They very often deny and that is it, and it ends there. We do not get an explanation,” he said.

read more »

09/04/2024

Security Council Urged to ‘End the Bloodshed’ in Gaza

Human Wrongs Watch

(UN News)* — The President of the UN General Assembly appealed on Monday [8 April 2024] for “all those with leverage” to use their power to bring an end to the six-month-long war in Gaza.

© WHO | A group of children get together in Rafah, in the south of the Gaza strip.

Dennis Francis convened the UN’s most representative body, comprising all 193 Member States, following the Security Council’s failure to adopt a resolution put forward by the United States last month.  

The debate was triggered by a 2022 Assembly resolution that calls for a meeting to be held within 10 working days whenever a veto is cast in the Council. 

read more »

08/04/2024

People in Northern Gaza Forced to Survive on 245 Calories a Day, Less than a Can of Beans – Oxfam

Human Wrongs Watch

Minuscule amount is less than 12% of the average daily calorie needs

The destruction was caused by the Israeli airstrikes in Al Remal neighbourhood in the middle of Gaza City during the 4th day of the escalation | Source: OXFAM: https://www.oxfam.org/en/what-we-do/emergencies/gaza-crisis-appeal.

(OXFAM)* 3 April 2024  —  People in northern Gaza have been forced to survive on an average of 245 calories a day – less than a can of fava beans – since January, as Israeli forces continue their military onslaught. Over 300,000 people are believed to still be trapped there, unable to leave.

read more »

07/04/2024

Interview: How Hate Speech Triggered Genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda

Human Wrongs Watch

(UN News)*   — In April 1994, a sinister call was broadcast over radio stations across Rwanda, triggering the start of 100 days of genocide that left more than one million people dead. Henriette Mutegwaraba heard that call.

UN Photo/Loey Felipe | Henriette Mutegwaraba, survivor of the genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda and founder of the Million Lives Genocide relief fund, addresses the commemoration of the International Day of Reflection on the 1994 Genocide.

“Every time I talk about it, I cry,” she told UN News, describing how propaganda spread messages of hate that sparked a deadly wave of unspeakable violence. She lost 60 family members and friends in the mass slaughter.

read more »